Thursday, March 11, 2010

That's Not OK Mr. Pollard

I feel that this needs to be shared. I feel that all the college fans of the state of Iowa should have knowledge about this. I am a Hawkeye fan, but even though I am a Hawkeye fan, this e-mail that Mr. Pollard sent back to this Iowa State Fan was not appropriate. You can make the judgement yourself. I just feel that someone in that position of Athletic Director of a University in a major conference should not be responding back to fans in the manner he did. Here is the e-mail that was sent to Mr. Pollard and then Pollard's response.

Dear Mr. Pollard,

I am writing you today in regards to the state of the basketball program. I find it troubling that you continue to allow the program that I have watched for as long as I can remember fall into the shambles that it has. I remember watching players like Fred Hoiberg, Marcus Fizer, Jamal Tinsley, and so many more work Hilton Magic. I have watched almost all the games this year, and other then parts of the Texas game, I have not felt that "Magic" since you hired Greg McDermott. In fact, the ticket I bought for the Missouri game will be the last I purchase from your program until there is a change. It is sickening to me to watch the end of Iowa State Basketball games. You can point to the close games and say that they mean something. But every time I watch a close game, I know they are going to lose. I get that sick feeling in my gut because I know whats going to happen. Coach McDermott has shown no ability to coach at the end of the game. No team he has coached has ever shown that they have any capability to win a game in the clutch. Probably because he makes no adjustments during any game I have ever watched. Clearly the strategy he coaches by is not one that will win today, or tomorrow, or any other day in the Big 12 conference. To compound the issue, you are allowing him to basically start his tenure over. More then likely, next year there will be no Craig Brackins. There will be no Marques Gilstrap. Why Mr. Pollard should I buy a ticket to any game next year? To watch Scott Christophersen get burned by players from Kansas, Kansas State, and Texas again? Or better to watch Diante Garrett dribble the ball off his foot five times a game? The only success that Coach McDermott has had is to run off his best players. It sure seems like Mike Taylor and Wesley Johnson seem to be doing fine with their new coaches.It makes me sick that you are allowing this joke to continue. You are poking the eye of the greats that built this program into the dynasty it was. I feel bad for the likes of Johnny Orr, Jeff Grayer, Barry Stevens, Jeff Hornacek and every other person who poured their heart and soul into this program only to watch you allow it be driven back into the ground. I feel bad for them, and for all the rest of the fans of this program who are forced to put up with this sick joke. I see no improvement and until I do I will not be putting any of my money into your program. In fact, allowing for this hideous nightmare to continue not only should Greg McDermott be worried about his job, but you too, Mr. Pollard.

Sincerely,
Matt Rainey
Urbandale, Iowa


From: jbp@iastate.edu
To: Matt Rainey Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:43:32 -0600Subject: RE: State of the Mens Basketball Program.

Dear Matt,Thank you for your email. Several thoughts for your to ponder.
1. Yesterday I received over a hundred emails following our letter to ticket holders and donors. Interesting enough, of all the emails I received, the only negative one was from you. Glad to know that your feelings are not shared by the majority of other Cyclone fans.

2. Although I appreciate your passion and desire to write me, I only wish you had the same passion in helping be part of the solution by joining the Cyclone Club or being a season ticket holder. Our records indicate you have never made a donation, purchased season tickets or even purchased a single game ticket from our department. Unfortunately, athletics is like politics - people have a lot of answers but never many solutions.

3. For someone who claims to be a Cyclone fan for as long as you can remember, it it amusing to me that you never have supported the program that you so claim to love. Rather than spending time worrying about what Orr, Grayer, Hornacek, and others would think - I think you should be more worried about yourself. Your email is actually rather embarrassing given your lack of action.Thanks again for your email. I do appreciate it. I also hope you give some thought to my question about joining the Cyclone Club or purchasing season tickets. You can't expect better results if all you are willing to do is sit on the sidelines and write an email to the Athletics Director.

Go Cyclones!



Letter was sent to Steve Deace and Jon Miller of KXNO radio in Des Moines, IA.
http://kxno.com/pages/miller-deace.html

No comments:

Post a Comment