Friday, March 26, 2010

NCAA Basketball Tourney Bracket

Its one of the traditional things to do every year, and that is filling out a NCAA Tourney Bracket. I fill one out every year just for fun and see how it compares to others. This year I didn't follow college basketball closely at all due to a certain program (Iowa) I follow was like watching paint dry. So I got some people together and we created a group to see how we do against each other. As we all now when it comes to filling out your bracket, your wife or girlfriend can fill one out and do just as good as you. You are a man, its a man's sport, so you feel like you are the top professor at MIT when filling out your bracket. Kansas will so beat University of Northern Iowa. Kansas is a veteran team and #1 overall, UNI is just a Missouri Valley Conference team. The wife or girlfriend would pick UNI because they like purple and KU's blue and red is boring. So you think she has no idea. Fast Forward to today, and Kansas is sitting at home watching UNI play Michigan State. So anybody has just as good of a guess as anybody. I fell into the trap of listening to all these analyst that make way more money than me on where the upsets will be and who will be dangerous. Now that the kool-aid no longer tastes good, I can tell you that the Big East is the most overrated basketball conference in the history of the NCAA tournament. West Virginia is the only team left on Friday March 26. Syracuse, Villanova, Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Marquette, and Louisville all out. I want to take this time and thank you all for ruining my bracket. Yes I did gamble a bit, but their was a lot of let downs with this group. Georgetown I think thought they had a bye versus Ohio, because they were just outplayed. I gambled with Louisville, I thought they would take California, and Duke out. Instead they got beat by a California team that struggled in PAC-10 tournament, suspended a player, had to fly across the country, it was all setup for Louisville, and they blew it. In my group we all have Kansas playing Kentucky, 2 of us picked Kansas, and 2 others picked Kentucky. My only hope to get out of last place was for Syracuse to go to the Final Four, and they blew that last night to Butler. Two people had K-state and one had Pittsburgh. Of course the ones that had Syracuse or Pittsburgh going to Final Four had Villanova too. Another thank you to Big East Conference, job well done.
This year has seen a lot of upsets, if that is what you call it. This is the best 64 teams in the country, and a lot of times the tournament is about matchups. Temple and Wisconsin saw that when they played Cornell. Cornell did very well, as is Butler. UNI is going strong, and so is St. Mary's. The tournament will have a true champion, and that is why you play the game, because on any given night, it may destroy your bracket. Like a mid-major from Cedar Falls, IA knocking off the Kansas Jayhawks.

1 comment: